Designing a Mars Lander


How does the terrain of mars affect your design?

The design process steps are:
Ask: We had to do it because it is part of our school work and to test our capability.
Imagine: I imagined a G-Wagon. I had to image what shapes, colors and what size it should be.
Plan: I planned my design out on paper. Using a pencil and a rubber, trying to make it as accurate as possible.
Create: I created it in tinker cad. Trying to make sure it looked similar to my design on paper.
Experiment: I/my group tested it on lego. Very messy at the start but now we're improving it.
Improve: We are improving it on lego for a more sophisticated look and for the sphero to be able to use it.

A Bit About Mars
This is your initial research

-Facts about Mars (the red planet)
-It is red because of rusty iron in the ground.
-Mars is half the size of earth
-There is evidence that there is salty water in the ground
-Mars has two moons their names are: Phobos & Deimos
-Mars has 687 earth days.

Using Javascript with Sphero
Javascript is a technical coding system using numbers, letters and the majority of all types of punctuation. I have managed to get through a lot of the coding for Javascript but it's hard so ye know. Javascript Programmes little devises or games. I used Javascript to programe a sphero. I will use some of this code to make my mars lander move.

Mars Rover lander Simulation video
Today I have been learning to maneuver the mars rover lander simulation. I have learnt how to control it but I keep getting stuck in walls. I have learnt how to manipulate the mars rover and move it around.


We used javascript to monorover the sphero the way we would like it to move.

A bit about insight
Insight is a mission to find out more about the core of mars. If this mission were to be successful it would give us a lot of insight of mars. We could even use this method on other planets and amongst our solar system or even outside of it, if we can reach it.

They are plotting to use a machine that will cut through mars and dig down beneath the soil to test the temperature. The purpose behind this mechanism is to test and inform one and another about mars and its temperature. The machine has a little strong metal cutting thing which gets planted on the surface of Mars and over a period of time will get a far way and will have measured the temperature of Mars.

Hypothesis
I believe our design will work.
I believe our design will be able to drive on any surface this is because we have sued big thick wheels in which should be able to go over top of big bumps or rough surfaces as well as any terrain. We have a flexible middle part of our Mars Rover which should be able to move over, around, underneath anything.

Supporting my Hypothesis
I think this is what’s going to happen because…

-Our Robot design has this shape because we want the wheels and other parts to go over any terrain and surface
-Our Robot will navigate the terrain with these features because we need to go over any terrain, bumps or rough surfaces.
-Our data capturing tools are these because ( think of your first goal) we want samples of rocks and other things to come back to do research.
-Our lander will be maneuvered by (describe the remote controls) It will maneuver by using the sphero connected to the app using an ipad.

Variables that may affect the outcome...
-Weather
-Landing incorrectly

From this we came up with a Mission
Our Mission to Mars is…. 
Will be possible and able to move over any complicated terrain, surface or problems. Our Mars Lander should bring back pieces of Mars for further researches.

Comments